May 8, 2007

Something to chase after...

Some people have reared their heads
From my past
Old, old friends
Haven't heard them in years

I get the distinct impression
As they go on about someone who just broke their heart
That they're sorting through the people they knew
Felt safe with, aware with
And the thought "jesus, how is john?"
And undoubtedly, the first thing they ask
Is if I'm seeing someone
And I tell them no
And they then go on about their guy who decided
He had had enough with her
They lament breaking contact with me
But he would never let her speak with anyone
He was controlling and manipulative
And they are better for having been dumped, they say

They ask me about living in New York
They mention how wonderful it must be
How they want to go so badly
And most especially, to visit me.

I've written songs about these people
When they inspired me
I've bore my soul in verse and chorus
And not always with an agenda
To show them just how much they meant to me
But that's the Way Things Go around here

So I'm at a crossroads.
Do I let them in?
My personal life and career seem in such stagnant turmoil lately
A dose of home may be in order
They mention how I should move back home
But I can't think that way
I've already followed a woman once
At the expense of a year of my life
And my happiness

I am worthy of happiness
But I don't think my train ride today will supply it.
I'm not a dog
Even though I often beg like one

____________________________________________________


The most beautiful sunset.
Jay and mine last time together in WNY
Until he moves in
We talk about our love lives
And we laugh about our love lives
I make some comment about his sexuality
And he finds it that much more funny

I see a man ready to change lives in him
I see a spirit red hot with passion
I feel lucky to share that moment with him
The sun has indeed set on that part of our lives
There are no more Fredonias
No more small town ideals and invincibility

But the sun sets, and the light still lingers
It floats above the horizon
In a V
Like a smile
It seems we've parted ways with WNY
On good terms
The car ride home is uneventful
Because we'll have plenty more commutes together
And I know that
So I'll save my funniest lines
When we're tired and angry at the world
And we take "da N twain back to brookerin"

Thank you, Buffalo, again
For a wonderful few days
It felt well and good
To smile back yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment