May 1, 2007

Lindsay Martin

I heard from Lindsay Martin today. That little girl with so much sass has a way of making me feel real. What started as a passing hi in my classes at Fredonia senior year, slowly became a friendship and relationship that has been so precious to me.

She goes on and on and on about music. Bands I've never heard of. But she speaks about them like they are these demi-gods, forged out of the fire to live forever on the Mount of Rock. It's hysterical and charming, all at once. Endearing, too.

I'm allowed to be a nerd around her, a perv, an asshole, or whatever I want. We swap personal sex stories like its a "hows the weather" conversation. When she gets excited, her hair bobs up and down, and her eyes get all huge. It's great. You have to see this.

And, her rings. I wasn't ever going to mention them, but they are the strangest, most intruiging rings on a woman's hand I've yet to see. Having said that, they're not gaudy, in a Long-Island-Latina-too-many-fucking-rings way, they're very appropriate. I was about to ask about them when I first met her, when she said "You know, guys always ask about my rings. They think they're trying to show me they're attentive, I know they just want some ass." So I never asked, even though my intentions were from curiosity.

Hearing her talk about her father, the struggles and fights with her mom, her passion for women's rights and feminism, and her love of music and the outdoors, its like she speaks as if no one has ever spoken about them before. It puts me at ease, it makes me feel real.

She sent me a care package when I moved here, fully equipped with everything from the dollar store, like bathroom mats, spices, candles, tea, and so on. I still have most of it, in fact I think we keep using all those things, who knew? Well, everything but the butterfly toilet seat cover.

I could go on and on, but Lindsay Martin is one of those people you just need around, in the fray, always available to tell the inside joke to, give a hug, or vent with. Man it feels good to hear from her.

May need to kidnap that girl this summer for a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment