February 8, 2010

A Dirge and a Requiem for Formative Years

Here's the music to the new song. I wrote it humming at work on my lunch break, and it seemingly came out of nowhere.

I set out writing about a particular person, and about a particular thing I'm thinking of doing. This song, a more honest and accurate depiction of my position on it, came out.

It's just... honest. And sincere. And the fact that I've been able to finally use such morbid images and church-like phrasing and chords, is important to me.

Have you ever felt a part of you has died? The cause could be anything, and does not necessarily need to be bad. In my case, there's an end to an era I've held onto for so long; my formative years.

Also, what is worth risking for love? Your biggest dreams? Would moving somewhere other than NYC be a sign of defeat? Just so you can love someone? I struggle with these things lately.

I arrived at a point where I know my heart is speaking to my head. It wouldn't work. I'd hate myself for not being in New York, and I'd find a way to dismantle any sort of relationship I have. So, I would rather risk keeping myself single, and hope someday she is still single, and move when it seems more opportunistic.

I will end my days in Buffalo; I will be "dearly departed from the land that I started". I hope to, at least, but it's just not right yet. Timing is everything.


I am not posting audio of the song, because I want people to hear it on the album. If you see me live, I'll do it then, too. But otherwise, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment