February 4, 2010

Bookends

"Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence
A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left of you"
-Bookends, Simon & Garfunkel

A time of innocence.
Of learning.
Of becoming aware.
That's 2009 for me.

A year that saw me push my music career along
Saw me commit to living well
Saw me grasp Adulthood,
Put both my hands on Her rosy cheeks
And say, "Yes."
The countless shows played,
Well over 100,
Probably close to 200.

Preserve your memories
They're all that's left of you.
It's literally all that I have
Worth living for.
I'm storing up this thing called Experience
In the hopes that it guides me straighter
Along the path.
How tragic is the forgotten artist
How woeful a lot to be left behind.
The photograph and resume cast aside
And the little children scamper forward
Not missing a beat.

A close look at a not-so-distant photograph
::a silent beat::
Then drawing nearer to the eyes,
"Wooooooow."



No comments:

Post a Comment