June 11, 2007

Route 17 -> Rt.86 -> Rt. 395 -> Rt. 81

A long, long road
Alone
Seeing the stars that Times Square tried
To bring to the Earth
But best kept up there

I lay in the back seat
After leaving myself up on a stage
Swelled up with emotion
And for once, not reaching for my cell phone
Complete, more like it.

I feel a part of me dying off
A wing, a familiar me
being lowered in the ground
I've grown this part
Watered it
Tilled its soil
And now, I see it wilted
Not enough sun

I will lament this part
For a few more short weeks
And kindly break it off
Bid it adieu
And begin to grow something new

Honey, you're not supposed to get off this easy
And most other nights
With the Big Sky
And the Little Dipper in plain view
I lamented you
I cried for you
I desired you above all

My eyes burning
A familiar phase
Means I spent too long awake
This time it was lack of sleep
Lack of oxygen
Breathe
Lack of night
That I needed to dip into tomorrow
To get home

I do not lament you anymore
I do not lament you
I do not lament
I do not
I do
I

Left with I
I tend the garden
Planting seeds
Mending
Where the afternoon Sun shines
Singing my Dirge

"If you get struck by lightening
Can you rise from the dead?
Is that great strike of lightening
Where the rising begins?"

No comments:

Post a Comment