June 25, 2007

Cassie Covers

Back in Brooklyn, currently working. Need to articulate the comings and goings, the ebbing and flowings of the days gone by.

My family has been cut down by loss. A tragedy of sharpest pains has hit us all; a young life ended so suddenly, so accidentally, and so tragically.

Only if you are like children can you enter the Kingdom of My Father. I think back to singing "Let the children come to me" in elementary school in Church on Fridays. "Never hinder them, never stop them, just let the children come." Cassie has gone to God, and she is there.

As a thinking man, I am contented to know that she must, absolutely must, be with God right now. United with Him, with great life force. One in the same now. She had her last rites, she was without sin, without any blemish whatsoever, and for that, I am overjoyed. I feel our prayers have only made her closer in unison with God, and she now is a part of those who have gone before us that observe, assist, and help intercede. This comforts me, and I hope it comforts the rest of my family.

I saw the depth of loss on Saturday, I witnessed it firsthand. I took 3 or 4 steps back, evaluated my own life, family, and priorities, and saw how beautiful a family truly is. I played the role of reinforcement, relieving my sister who had been at the hospital all day and all night and all morning, along with my father who was there that same timeframe as well. It was just this horrible yet at the same time, inspiring, moment. We would all make little jokes, something my family does to try to deal with things, and little sarcastic remarks about how Cassie thought her doctor wasn't very funny. Then, as expected, the reality of who was lost would set in, and everyone would be hit by a wave of devastation. This cycle would go on and on, and seemingly will as long as it needs to. But I felt everyone already celebrating the beautiful, yet short life, and I saw the imprint she made on everyone there.

I myself recall all the times I saw her at my aunt's house, ruling over the house and taking no lip from anyone. She called my father "Nutin", meaning nothing, and even his strong personality was no match. My sisters would leap and cheer for her, would squeeze her tight and show her off, my Aunt would laugh and sit back and revel at the energy and beauty of young life. She was the spark to that side of my family, and she always will be.

It's fitting that we all wear pink and purple to the funeral. I too, even thought I cannot make it, will make sure to wear my pink tie that day, for Cassie. We will be the pink and purple members of the princess' court that day, and I will be honored to take part, even from so far away.

There is tremendous wisdom in youth, and Christ saw it, and I see it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment