October 1, 2010

Delia Neylan Schmitt, 1925-2010

"Delia" - diminutive of Bedelia, variant of Bridget, Celtic god of fire and poetry


Born a unicorn,
Of word and flame,
Married a lion,
Now one in Everything. 


"Of all the money that e'er I spent
I spent it in good company
And all the harm that ever I did
Alas, it was to none but me
And all I've done
For want of wit
In memory now, I can't recall
So fill to me the Parting Glass
Goodnight, and joy be with you all.

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for me to be going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise, and you should not
I gently rise, and I softly call
Goodnight, and joy be with you all."


Love you Gram!  Nobody ever like you, before or after!  You are badly missed, and cherished!  My children will know all about you, and the way you lived your life.  You will be remembered and honored, every time I sing an Irish song, every time I cook at home, and every time I catch myself straying from the kind of life you lived.  Your example, through love, will bring me back, and keep me humble.

1 comment:

  1. jm...that was BEAUTIFUL...and i know u already know...but grandma dee dee WAS very proud of YOU.... she told everyone that...every chance she got.
    I LOVE U!
    -aunt lisa

    ReplyDelete