June 13, 2010

To Be Where I Was

[[Dot]]
It's good to see you.  Not that I ever forgot you, George.  You gave me so much.

[[George]]
What did I give you?

[[Dot]]
Oh, many things.  You taught me about concentration.  At first, I thought that meant just being still, but I was to understand it meant much more.  You meant to tell me to be where I was, not some place in the past or future.  I worried too much about tomorrow; I thought the world could be perfect.  I was wrong.

[[George]]
What else?

[[Dot]]
Oh, enough about me.  What about you? Are you working on something new? 

[[George]]
No

[[Dot]]
That is not like you, George

[[George]]
I've nothing to say

[[Dot]]
You have many things

[[George]]
Well, nothing that's not been said

[[Dot]]
Said by you, though. George

[[George]]
I do not know where to go

[[Dot]]
And nor did I

[[George]]
I want to make things that count,
Things that will be new...

[[Dot]]
I did what I had to do...

[[George]]
What am I to do?

[[Dot]]
Move on...

Stop worrying where you're going-
Move on
If you can know where you're going
You've gone
Just keep moving on

I chose, and my world was shaken-
So what?
The choice may have been mistaken,
The choosing was not
You have to move on

Look at what you want,
Not at where you are,
Not at what you'll be-
Look at all the things you've done for me


Opened up my eyes,
Taught me how to see,
Notice every tree-

[[George]]
Notice every tree...

[[Dot]]
Understand the light-

[[George]]
...Understand the light...

[[Dot]]
Concentrate on now-

[[George]]
I want to move on
I want to explore the light
I want to know how to get through,
Through to something new,
Something of my own-

[[Both]]
Move on
Move on

[[Dot]]
Stop worrying it your vision
Is new
Let others make that decision-
They usually do
You keep moving on

[[George]]
Something in the light...

 [[Dot]]
 ...Look at what you've done,...

 [[George]]
...Something in the sky,...

 [[Dot]]
 ...Then at what you want,...

 [[George]]
...In the grass,...

 [[Dot]]
 ...Not at where you are,...

 [[George]]
...Up behind the trees...

 [[Dot]]
 ...What you'll be...

 [[George]]
...Things I hadn't looked at...

 [[Dot]]
 ...Look at all the things...

 [[George]]
...Till now...

 [[Dot]]
 ...You gave to me...

 [[George]]
...Flower in your hat....

 [[Dot]]
... Let me give to you...

 [[George]]
...And your smile...

 [[Dot]]
 ...Something in return...

 [[George]]
...And the color of your hair....

[[Dot]]
...I would be so pleased...

[[George]]
And the way you catch the light...

And the care
And the feeling
And the life
Moving on

[[Dot]]
Just keep moving on
Anything you do
Let it come from you
Then it will be new
Give us more to see...

~"Move On" from Sunday in the Park with George by Stephen Sondheim

No comments:

Post a Comment