January 25, 2008

recap

Last time I wrote, I was planning on seeing Brandon play at the Sidewalk Cafe. He did really well, and I think he's come so far in such a short amount of time. I think looking back at where we all came from, you don't see your skills sharpen and broaden, but they do. You can't label me as a knock-off of someone else anymore, I am my own man with my own sound. Sure, other music influences me, like anyone else, but finding my own voice has been a journey that I didn't even know I was on. In any event, I'm delighted to see that process happen in one of my best friends.

I went there with Maria, my friend from work, after seeing the movie "No Country for Old Men." Maria had been my movie buddy that week, and I saw 4 films in total, "Walk Hard," "No Country for Old Men," "I am Legend," and "There Will be Blood." I enjoyed all of them, but the Coen brother's movies stands heads and shoulders above the rest. It really was a magnificent piece of cinema, and the themes and undertones are both raw and beautiful, realistic and profound. What happens as we age? Why does it seem most older people feel disconnect? Where does fate play in this process? Is it possible for pure evil to be governed by a set of principles, much in the same way goodness is governed? Go see it, and let me know what you think.

After a very odd misunderstanding with Maria and I, I feel really good about working it out and having her as a good friend, even if she still likes the Giants.

Went to Harrisburg, saw Mark and Amanda, rode up with Jay and Brandon. It was nice to see everyone, even Tom Dose stopped out, and then I had my show. Before we left for the show, while still at Mark's house, Brandon sprained his ankle playing football with me. We didn't realize how bad it was until after my show, when it was the size of a grapefruit. We went to the ER, and were there until 4 am. A bad sprain, and he just needed to be off of it for a few days. Got home at 7am the next day.

Next was my trip to Philadelphia. Chris, Pat, Elliot, Cathy, and me piled into two cars and headed South on 95 for the day. Before we left though, we had rehearsal in Chris' garage.

Just a moment to mention Chris. This guy has really committed to playing in my band, and he is prepared, open-minded, skilled, and very calm at all times. He loves playing all kinds of music, and he has more than shown his worth playing with us on-stage. He really has fit well with me and the other guys, in terms of music and being a great friend. That's not even mentioning the other stuff...

Like, how he lets us use his garage to rehearse on the weekends! This saves me HUNDREDS of dollars, hours of time, and all kinds of headache. It is such an incredible help to me, and that's how selfless Chris is. He also is willing to drive the whole band anywhere to a show, and then he gives me shit when I offer him gas money. He drives his own car, with me and everyone else and our gear, and then when I try to give him money, he's always like "Eh, hit me up later." Well, I don't forget about that stuff, and do get him back for it later. He just gives so much, outside of the music on-stage (which I am really blessed to have with share in) that it is hard for me to not feel like we're taking him for granted. So I don't know if you're reading this, buddy, but you rock, you've helped me out more than you know, and I am really honored to be your friend first, and bandmate second. Thank you very much.

So anyways, we go to Philly, and we bring my roommate Adam along who was otherwise not busy. I think we told him about it while he was playing video games in his room or something. I knew he would have a good time, and he did.

There's alot of specifics about the Philly trip, but the main points are that we played exceptionally well, the crowd went from great, to good, to not-so-great, to poor, to terrible as the set went on, and we all agreed that the bars in Philly remind us of home, are better than NYC, and are so cheap that we wish we could have stayed the weekend. We all agreed to come back at the end of March and visit one more time. Ian came out, played with us, it was great to see him, thought he sounded really good, too.

Been going to shows, open mics, and more shows lately. It's taken alot out of me, but I think it's great. We're being offerred a show at the Cutting Room, and I think we should really see a spike in attendance there. I want to be known as my own man, who goes to things on his own accord, and I feel now that while it's getting to be that way, I still might be viewed as being "brought" by someone, or that I'm only there because Elliot is there, etc., which is not the case at all. I've been to 5 or 6 shows already without anyone else, and its important for me to show I care deeply about the music scene and the people in it, and not just be perceived as a tag-along.

That being said, Monday is the LC anniversary show at Rockwood, and I am glad I already personally know more than half of those invited to play. It's great to think I've only been here about 20 months, and I'm starting to really be involved with everyone here.

I'm going to Boston this weekend, with Vinny and Adam, and that should be awesome. I have a show outside the city, in Hopkinton, MA, and then I'm staying with Jeff. I will finally be meeting Joanna, someone I was introduced to only online through a mutual friend. She and I spend the days distracting each other from work, so it will be good to put a face to the jokes, political insights, and so on. I'm glad she's my friend, she is a true idealist, and that gives me faith about people.

Tonight I'm meeting up for dinner at the Comedy Cellar. I haven't been there in ages, since my birthday, and I'm excited to introduce someone new to the great stand-up that is always going on there. Should be a really fun night.

Other than that, I couldn't be more active going to see shows, playing with people, booking shows, travelling, and otherwise living my life. The saddest thing in life is wasted talent. Remember that, and live accordingly.

That's the coming and going in my life now. I'm nervous, excited, hopeful, and really just feeling tired. Such is the life of a 24 year old scraping by, chasing a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment