July 30, 2007

Tabula Rasa

Another cycle 'round my sun is complete.
I wonder if I have another 50 left in me.

What does the phrase "The more things change, the more they stay the same" mean?

It means that every situation I encounter is just a variation on another situation, with the faces, times, places, and contexts different. Here I stand, above the waters that swirl below me, seeing human drama and strife played out in the most ordinary of ways. The players playing parts all seek something, and are constantly searching. Some incapable of love, others addicted to it. I see the musical chairs, revolving doors, and spirited debates and arguments, and I choose to rise not partake. I choose to observe. The more things change, the more I stay the same.

You see, this one loves that one,
this one hates that one,
this one uses this one,
this one uses that one.
There's nothing else to it, at its most primal level.

Once in awhile, someone will pluck me underneath the waters, and I will gasp and claw upward toward air.

I will circle around, swirl amongst those who haven't seen what real priorities are, what a moral compass does to one's self, or how a quick fix spells demise.

We all lie to each other down there - we mislead, spin, employ games and devices and machines - to either gain someone, lose someone, or use someone.

We fight currents that have existed for centuries. Currents that are currently still current.

Yet I never seem to stay down there, and I've grown to almost detest being down there. Down in the depths. Swirling in cycling seas. Searching.

I'm easy to find. Just look up. And there is much, much more to me than meets the eye.

I've grown so accustomed to being solo, in all respects, to being up here above the waters, that when someone pulls me down, and I narrowly escape, it's alot worse than if I had already been down there.

Others used to join me up here, but slowly I see each one of them below, and perhaps the human experience is based on such happenings: I am up here because I do not want to be there, and I have chosen not to be there, and chosen to be here, if that makes sense.

The more things change, the more I stay the same.

The more the themes remain the same.

I am destined to love. To have a family. To share. From up here.

A clean slate is not a blank slate.

It means I've wiped it off.

Then I washed my hands, rubbed my brow, and picked it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment