September 6, 2013

On Teaching, updated

John Schmitt
Personal Statement
Masters of Arts, Adolescent Education – Social Studies

In March of this year, I left my life as a successful musician and songwriter living in Brooklyn to spend 4 weeks walking the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain. During this time I walked over 500 miles in rural villages, climbed a dozen mountains, made friends with people from all over the world, and experienced more living in 4 weeks than most do in forty years.

One day in particular, I was due to climb the mountain O Cebreiro, the most daunting and famous ascent on the Camino. The night before I had learned of the bombing at the Boston Marathon, and the tragedy weighed on me in a palpable way, so much in fact that I insisted on walking alone that day. I had taken up distance running less than a year ago, and the running community had welcomed my friends in America and me with open arms; we had enveloped our lives in a culture of positivity, health, and support. That the very community I had come to cherish was the one attacked by an act of terrorism only made the tragedy sting more. I decided to “carry” my running friends and community with me, both in thought and prayer, and ascend mighty O Cebreiro.

After 5 miles of relentless climbing, I reached the top of the mountain, and the vast expanse of Galicia lay out in front of me. I thought of all the dreams cut short today, not just in loss of life and injury, but those who had trained for years to triumph in Boston, only to have the race stopped and marred by this senseless act. At the same time I thought of a discussion I’d had with another pilgrim who told me the most important thing one must do upon completing the Camino is to take the lessons home with you, to be the change you wanted to see in others.

In that moment atop O Cebreiro, I vowed to be an instrument of change in this world, to work to educate children on the lessons of the past, and to get to work on it as soon as I got back. I would be a history teacher so this sort of thing might stop happening, so that our children can possibly break the cycle of killing and fear.

My favorite teachers in both high school and college were all history teachers who instilled in me a great understanding of historical cause-and-effect. I learned that by understanding the lessons of the past, as they relate to the present, we can shape and hopefully better our future. I believe the role of social studies educators is crucial in helping form this better future, and I know that this is my calling in life.

Current educators and teachers that I know have told me that this is "not the time" to get into the profession. Instead of deterring me, this sentiment only fuels my desire to take up the challenge of educating our children at a time when budgets, resources, and opportunities seem to be less and less. Now more than ever, we have a duty to ensure that the students are always our main focus so we can continue to better their futures.

Upon obtaining my Masters of Arts in Adolescent Education in Social Studies, along with my New York State Teachers Certification, I will begin work immediately on educating our youth and use my talents in music to enhance the classroom experience. I will also volunteer my talents and experience with distance running and baseball to coach students and promote an active lifestyle after school.

In every encounter of my professional life, whether it be volunteering at Mt. Sinai Hospital playing music for the Pediatric Floor, my work as a music teacher in Palo Alto, CA, or time spent amongst my wonderfully large family, I have found an absolute love of and connection with children.  I am motivated by their positive energy, have a great affinity for watching them blossom and grow, and want to be a part of that process.  I wish not only to educate them academically but seek to be a supportive role model and mentor.  Through my work I hope to stay true to the promise I made to myself atop O Cebreiro many weeks ago: to better our world, one child at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment