November 28, 2007

Ode to Seurat

Transitioning through life
One stiff drink at a time
A member of the New York Intelligensia
Our class moves the foundations of all that is here

Shakespeare, it is believed, would play ghosts in his plays
And he always would have a similar message
Remember me
Remember me, O Hamlet
An artist's biggest fear is anonymity.

That somehow, somewhere, and at some point
No will care for what your entire life was based on
That even children, children's children, and children's children's children
Will not see the lineage before them
Will not honor the ghosts.

So fame befalls all artists minds as a means of being remembered.
Remembrance, more than money and posessions
Because fame is at cost of privacy and the positive anonymity.

Seurat.
La Grande Jatte.
"By the blue, purple-yellow-red water"
As we pass, in our perfect park
Made of specs of light and dark

I rememeber you, George. You are your painting.
I toil as you did, George.
I am sure to pass on to my children your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment